MAYBE LOVE IS MORE FUN is a lighthearted song from the VENICE ARTS CLUB MUSIC PROJECT. It is song 1 on volume 1 of the 8 volume set and features JAMIE COHEN, KRISTEN VIGARD and MALIA LUNA. The refrain is, ‘gonna align the stars for you’…
Maybe it’s true, we’re all doing time
Minute by minute, please tell me your sign
All the weather finally got its act together
According to plan – you and I are feeling fine
A new moon, our only witness
Maybe love is more fun
Remember when we were good together
We were tethered to the sun
A nova, your casanova
You are my only one
Maybe love is more fun
Take it from me
(Like lemon with your tea – gonna squeeze the day for you)
Maybe love is more fun
MAYBE LOVE IS MORE FUN – Venice Arts Club Music Project
PRODUCED BY VAC
Mike Ruppert’s song of the week on the Lifeboat Hour for Sunday, March 18, 2012, is BACK ROAD from DOUBLEWIDE, the debut release from the NEW WHITE TRASH, a music project Ruppert founded with Wade De Void and Andy Kravitz. Other members include Cara Tompkins, Kristen Vigard, Malia Luna, James Mathers, Michael Jost, Robit Hairman, Phil Maggini. The 37 song 2-CD collection was recorded at the VAC and mastered by Bob Rice. NWT producer Doug Lewis says this about Back Road: “I liked it immediately and was surprised by the strength of Mike’s performance and how he poured himself into the music. I kept thinking, ‘Meatloaf, Bat Out Of Hell’! And Back Road fit a theme of the NWT which is ‘where the heart is’ as opposed to the apparently more immediate themes of Meltdown, or Running With The New White Trash, or Realize The Lie of war. Back Road is a cousin song to Wherever There, One Good Reason and Trailer Light On, and maybe a couple more.”
In introducing the song Ruppert mentions how a musician friend, Jim Sullins, sent him a hummed hint of a melody over the piano track. From that Ruppert fashioned Back Road.
MICHAEL RUPPERT @ VAC
NEW WHITE TRASH.com
NEW WHITE TRASH. music
DOUBLEWIDE, the 37 song, 2-CD debut album from the New White Trash, chronicles the slide of the former American middle-class down a steep and slippery slope to the New White Trash, a place impartial to race, religion, creed or color. Dubbed, ‘music of the post-paradigm’, NWT members include Wade De Void, Michael C. Ruppert, Andy Kravitz, Kristen Vigard, Robit Hairman, Phil Maggini, Malia Luna, Cara Tompkins, Michele McVicar, Michael Jost.
About the New White Trash and the Post-Paradigm era:
“The New White Trash (NWT) demographic is the outcome of the former middle class being folded in with the working poor and, for good measure, the unemployed and uninsured. The NWT defines and represents a majority of people whose common bond includes and exists beyond the demographics of age, race, location, education. The people of the NWT are the new ‘have-not’s’, and by its nature and size, this vast swath of population (99%) is now squarely at odds with the 1% who own, operate and dispense our corporate universe, big pharma, big food, big oil, big defense and big government included. ‘By the people for the people’ is receding. The Post-Paradigm Era describes the vacuum left by the sudden disappearance of the former American middle class. It is in this vacuum we now find ourselves, tumbling in turmoil as home losses mount, bank balances shrink, and shelters are jammed with the likes of you and I. The good old days are done and dusted. That party is over. The coming chaos of the post-paradigm era will lead to a radical and immediate rethinking and remaking of America or it will lead us to complete devastation.” (from NWT Manifesto/VAC.com)
The durge-like quality of REALIZE THE LIE underscores the message: Running with the dogs of war/We’ve run this race before/It’s rotten to the core/When only War can save you – Realize The Lie
NEW WHITE TRASH, ‘MUSIC OF THE POST-PARADIGM’. Artwork/Cara Tompkins@EWC
NEW WHITE TRASH – DOUBLEWIDE. Artwork/Cara Tompkins@EWC
NEW WHITE TRASH HEADQUARTERS, VENICE CA USA. Image/Cara Tompkins@EWC
In 1997, a decade before a fortuitous meeting between Michael C. Ruppert and Venice musician Doug Lewis in the spring of 2008, Lewis was busy recording his on-going Fell Music project. The meeting of Ruppert and Lewis would lead to the forming of the New White Trash and the making of their debut album, Doublewide, a 37 song double-disc set chronicling the slide of the former middle class down a ‘steep and slippery slope to the new white trash, a place and genre impartial to race, creed or color’. Doublewide was released January 11, 2011 and has since found a home with a worldwide audience of truth seekers investing in alternative and conscious voices to match the signs of the times. One song from Doublewide, titled ‘We Can’t Escape From‘ found its way onto the soundtrack of the DVD release of Collapse the Movie, directed by documentary filmmaker Chris Smith and featuring Michael Ruppert as the only character in the film. Roger Ebert said this of the film: “I don’t know when I’ve seen a thriller more frightening. I couldn’t tear my eyes from the screen. “Collapse” is even entertaining, in a macabre sense. I think you owe it to yourself to see it. ”
Some people meet over drinks; Ruppert and Lewis met at a dog park adjacent to the Santa Monica airport near Venice, CA. In an excerpt taken from the article ‘Grooving With The Archetypes‘, a piece about the VAC written by Bud Theisen, Lewis says, “Mike and I met at the local dog park, our dogs got on very well and so did we. I gave Mike a copy of the Cheeters first CD and he loved it. He gave me a copy of Crossing The Rubicon, which I devoured.” Lewis, always on the prowl for new musical talent, took an interest in Ruppert’s desire to play and record music. “I made him work for it,” says Lewis. “I pushed him pretty hard and he didn’t fold. In fact, he blossomed. Mike is a great teacher about what he knows, and a terrific student when it comes to learning new skills.”
For Ruppert, those new skills included learning how to work the microphone while developing a more ‘left brain’ approach to writing, away from the factual reporting of his day to day and into a more sublime world of the trans-poetic, lyrical experience. In a word…storytelling. Fortunately for Ruppert, Lewis had been mining this ground for decades, with themes and songs of cautionary tales to do with protest, eternal war, with revealing commentary swiped against a background extending from Vietnam to the big bomb.
For Lewis and Ruppert, there were no issues in reaching common ground in the recording studio. With their two sensibilities cut from the same desire to formulate words into the action of social commentary by speaking out through popular song, Lewis and Ruppert, along with Andy Kravitz, Kristen Vigard, Cara Tompkins, James Mathers, Malia Luna, and a host of others, poured their time and energies into recording their collaborations for what would become Doublewide.
Could two people be more different? Lewis – tall, lanky, whip-smart with movie-star looks (think Willem DeFoe meets Chet Baker) and more rock and roll attitude than most rock & rollers vs Ruppert – a former LAPD cop who looks like he could be Wilford Brimley’s kid brother. Yet, for Lewis, meeting and recording with Ruppert had a reassuring effect. “Mike and my sensibilities are perfectly aligned. I’d been working this ground a long time, steering each of my collaborative projects into a direction of relevance, refining the message, speaking out. Working with Mike was a breath of fresh air. Between us, we hit a groove and didn’t waver”
‘Dangerous Ground‘ from Lewis’ Fell Music project was recorded in 1997 at Arthur Barrow’s Lotek Studios in Mar Vista. The message is familiar, the imagery informed and the lineage apparent from the Dangerous Ground to Doublewide.
Mark Baer, President, Museum of Monterey and Managing Director of SmartChannel.TV
JAMES MATHERS DECODED – Storyboard scenes from the animated short film, ‘The Parking Lot At The Center Of Time’Posted: March 17, 2012
No one would ever accuse VAC founding member James Mathers of spreading it on ‘too thin’. Everything he does is spread thick, especially his paint. Many of these oil-stick drawing were completed here at the VAC. During this period, the script for Parking Lot was refined then recorded with an ensemble cast including DJ Lyf, Malia Luna, Bailey Rye, Pablo Capra, Dead Dave, Doug Lewis, Cara Tompkins, Derek DeVries.
These drawings form the groundwork for the produced version of Parking Lot. Approximately 80 drawings make up the storyboard for Parking Lot, here are a few choice selects. The complete collection will be posted on this blog, coming soon.
JAMES MATHERS – STORYBOARD SCENES FOR ‘PARKING LOT AT THE CENTER OF TIME’
PARKING LOT AT THE CENTER OF TIME – YOU TUBE
PARALYZE ME, a song from Volume 3 of the VENICE ARTS CLUB MUSIC PROJECT, features Wade De Void and Malia Luna. Produced by Doug Lewis.
More of the same here/TV man is acting strange/Prime time in the evening/The host is screaming/His propaganda reeling/Stacked up to the ceiling/Paralyze me/Don’t paralyze me
WADE DE VOID
As if leading the charge of the seemingly post-catastrophe society was not enough, Ruppert also takes some time to make music with his band The New White Trash—although the themes are predictably not far from his heart.
“New White Trash is not a euphemism for modern rednecks, the name represents the discarded middle class from the current economic crisis,” he said. “Our music is the music of the post-paradigm, much in the way Woody Guthrie sung about the depression we are doing the same for now.”
THE LIFEBOAT HOUR, hosted by uber-activist and New White Trash founding member Michael C. Ruppert, aires Sunday evening at 9p Eastern on the PROGRESSIVE RADIO NETWORK. Ruppert opens his weekly show with AVALANCHE & EARTHQUAKE, a popular New White Trash tune, and closes the hour with a snippet of YOU LOSE, a mostly instrumental song from disc one of DOUBLEWIDE, the debut release from New White Trash. Listeners tuning in to the Lifeboat Hour for Sunday, March 4, 2012 would have also heard a slice of ONE GOOD REASON, a New White Trash song from disc two of DOUBLEWIDE.
Released January 11, 2011, the music of the New White Trash and the songs of Doublewide chronicle the slide of the former American middle-class down a steep and slippery slope to the New White Trash, a place impartial to race, religion, creed or color.
Dubbed the ‘music of the post-paradigm’, Doublewide describes the vacuum left by the sudden disappearance of the former American middle class. According to Ruppert, “it is in this vacuum we now find ourselves, tumbling in turmoil as home losses mount, bank balances shrink, and shelters are jammed with the likes of you and I. The good ol’ days are done and dusted. The party is over. The coming chaos of the post-paradigm era will lead to a radical and immediate rethinking and remaking of America or it will lead us to complete devastation.”
The New White Trash folds into itself the former middle class with the working poor and, for good measure, the unemployed and uninsured. The NWT defines and represents a majority of people whose common bond includes and exists beyond the demographics of age, race, location, education. The people of the NWT are the new ‘have-not’s’, and by its nature and size, this vast swath of population (99%) is now squarely at odds with the 1% who own, operate and dispense our corporate universe, big pharma, big food, big defense and big government included. ‘By the people for the people’ is a thing of the past.
As Woody Guthrie filled a musical vacuum by acknowledging the pain and the suffering of the Great Depression, the New White Trash fills a bigger and more insidious vacuum left by a rampant, programmed consumerism that serves only corporations and their shareholders.
This is a new breed of American music in which the message is clear: You’re f**ked. But now what?
NWT portrays a post-paradigm, ‘less beautiful’ America, brought to life through music, media, theatre and message – those of love, need, equality and social justice. ‘Drop it down’, ‘don’t dig too deep’, ‘we charge extra for this’, ‘take these’, ‘we can’t escape from’, all are the language of the NWT. And for good reason.
If you got no credit and you got no cash, you’re NWT. If you got more going out than you got coming in, you’re NWT. If your 401k is MIA, If you’ve filed for bankruptcy, if you find yourself living in a trailer or back with your parents, if your unemployment has run out, if your roads have holes and local schools are closing, if you lost your health insurance to a pre-existing condition, you are the NWT. If you bought the hype and borrowed on a dream,and now your house is gone and you’re selling your things, you’re the NWT. If you’re pissed off, yet you keep a sliver of love in your crossed heart and at least a post-ironic smile on your lips, you’re NWT. If what you had is gone – just like that – then you know you’re running with the New White Trash.
Ruppert states how, “The NWT offers what popular music does not: it recognizes and acknowledges all those who are being marginalized and dropping off the radar screens of ‘official’ life. It is not all depressing. In fact, the NWT celebrates the joys, simple pleasures and love that are often re-discovered only in the darkest times.”
ONE GOOD REASON is one of those tracks, a song of love discovered. Have a listen to One Good Reason from Doublewide by the New White Trash.
THE NEW WHITE TRASH – Music Of The Post-Paradigm
Mike Ruppert & Wade De Void. Image/Cara Tompkins
Song page for ONE GOOD REASON. Image/Cara Tompkins
Mike Ruppert & Wade De Void. Image/Cara Tompkins
Phil De Void, aka Andy Kravitz
Sasha De Void
Emily Rose De Void
Wade De Void
Phil Maggini playing with the New White Trash
James & Kelli Mathers of the New White Trash. Image/Cara Tompkins
New White Trash. Image/Cara Tompkins
Malia & Bailey are sisters from Venice, CA
Wade DeVoid at the VeniceArtsClub, Venice, CA, taking a break during the recording of ‘Doublewide’ with the New White Trash (NWT). Wade founded the NWT with uber-activist Michael C. Ruppert (featured in the film, CoLLapse), the grammy-nominated Andy Kravitz, Kristen Vigard, a recording artist who sings backgrounds and harmonies with the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Fishbone (Kristen was also the original ‘Annie’ on Broadway, and played Moran Richards on the Guiding Light!). Other members include Phil Maggini, formerly of Shadowfax, L.A. writer/musician Robit Hairman, Venice guitar god Michael Jost, photographer Cara Tompkins, visual artist Malia Luna. The 37 song project was mastered by Bob Rice, who learned his licks working for Frank Zappa and is currently on the road with Paul Simon. The New White Trash double-disc set is available through the NWT Bandcamp site, as download or in a hand-crafted paper-made set…with stickers. You can also tune into the NWT every Sunday evening at 6pmPacific on The Lifeboat Hour, hosted by Michael C. Ruppert available online at Progressive Radio Network . com.
Avalanche & Earthquake, featuring Mike Ruppert aka Cross De Void, Cookie De Void aka Malia Luna, Cara Mia De Void, Andy Kravitz aka Phil De Void, Doug Lewis aka Wade De Void. And, of course, Squishy and Rags. Enjoy!
New music from the NWT coming soon…
Malia & Bailey!!